Friday, September 12, 2014

Since yesterday was the 11th of September, it made me think about the awful events that happened 13 years ago but also about the documentary 'Fahrenheit 911' by Michael Moore that focuses on what happened afterwards. This documentary is the highest grossing documentary of all times according to Wikipedia. I don't know if you guys know it or what Moore's reputation is in the US but one thing I find remarkable about him is that he dares to stand up. He made documentaries criticizing Bush, the gun laws, capitalism and so on. I looked at Moore's background, and he is coming from a working class family and he most likely grew up with popular culture, but yet he developed to someone that thinks politically and questions the given order of things. He uses the culture industry to spread his messages and reaches people and I think he made a lot of people aware of things that they did not know before. I think his documentaries and documentaries in general prove that a movie that was produced by the culture industry can actually have political effects on the audience. That was something Adorno didn't consider and couldn't know regarding the time he lived in. I couldn't find any evidence of people saying that his documentaries made them aware of something so I wanted to ask you if you have watched any documentary of him (or any documentary in general) and if that changed anything about the way you perceive things?
(I don't really have an opinion on Moore in case he is despised by the majority, I just think his documentaries are interesting) 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have watched documentaries that changed my opinion, and some that were one-sided. I have seen this one and it was well done. Michael Moore's fame is because he embraces the controversial. It is sort of an American theme, that "rogue cowboy" who rights all wrongs against all odds. Just look at all the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies. Michael Moore is being that rogue cowboy in making his films. Interestingly, he and Ken Burns are responsible for making documentaries into popular culture. Before them, documentaries were looked at as high culture, educational, dry, and boring.

    ReplyDelete