Friday, October 24, 2014

Just one more episode?


After talking about people and their addiction to TV it got me thinking about how the different ways we get our TV fix. You can watch your favorite shows on Cable, DVR, Satellite, computer, Netflix, Hulu, etc. It is easier than ever for people to feed their addiction to TV. I will be the first to admit that I sometimes crave the escape of entering an alternate reality by watching TV, but I don't need it everyday to survive. There are people, however, who can have legitimate addictions to viewing  TV. Going back to our discussions in class and in the power points, just like everything else, use moderation. There is little evidence that says to stop watching TV. The problem lies with watching too long. This can make people less creative in problem solving, or able to complete tasks. TV isn't a bad thing, but when viewed for prolonged amounts of time, it can effect moods, make you feel guilty for watching for so long, etc. You know what I also find a little funny, is that we have TV shows that feature peoples strange addictions. Seriously, there are people with an addiction to eating toilet paper, or corn starch, or even consuming Comet! The cleaner! It's astounding. I wonder if they will ever feature someone who is addicted to watching TV? I suppose that was a bit of a squirrel moment. I want to end with a question here. Do you think that we have a growing problem with TV addiction and does it effect our behavior as much as people think? (and this may or may not be me fishing for comments on my post but seriously, if you feel strongly about this subject comment away!)
 Also, I relate a little too much to this video. Remember, this is a judgment-free zone kay ya'll.

3 comments:

  1. I like this. It most definitely is easier to watch T.V. more now than ever, and its even harder to stop watching a show you have become hooked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you brought the fact up that we can be addicted to worse things! That show is crazy..... was crazy I don't know if it is still on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the convenience of TV shows today is not only feeding our addiction, but also taking away our critical thinking and analyzing skills that may have once been a benefit of TV. We used to watch an episode once a week, then have a whole week to think about the events in that episode and really break it down and even learn things from it. With Netflix, there is no way you can seriously process and analyze what you just watched in the fifteen seconds you have before being launched into the next episode. This is why it's become an addiction, like a drug, because we are now just mindlessly consuming episode after episode in a blind frenzy, without slowing down to think about it.

    ReplyDelete