Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Nacho Libre

When we talked about how certain movies all have the same formula, specifically how "Slacker" type movies all follow the exact same plot, I thought of one of my favorite movies. Nacho Libre.

Nacho Libre is about a Mexican friar who wants more out of life but doesn't really want to do it the normal way. He just wants to be tough without working for it. He also wants to be able to feed the orphans at his church because the food they eat is not very good. So of course, he starts wrestling.


It's funny because the formula for slacker movies is that the slacker seems to have certain charms, no ambition to compete in business, and isn't a "macho man". I think Nacho Libre fits this description perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. Great movie!! Easily one of my favorite movies, and one that I can quote pretty much the entire show. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it, I always crack up whenever I watch it. I totally agree with you, Nacho is a Grade A slacker. He is seen as an under achiever the whole show but despite this he still ends up saving the day and being the hero. He does with his slacker charms end up getting the girl too, well kind of..... overall great movie and post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good example, nacho libre was a complete slacker. though he was the main protagonist, he was just a friar in small village, with simple dreams. and as simple as his dream was, he still struggled to achieve it lol. if these type of movies have the same formula, my only answer to that is "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't think he had a dream and maybe a little bit of ambition? After all he did put effort into the costume and try to train.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its funny that Jack Black is kind of a slacker in all of the movies he is in. Kind of like many other actors they play mostly one role but are really good at that role so they have great movies.

    ReplyDelete