Friday, October 3, 2014

Our class discussion about Disney princesses was a real eye opener for me. I hadn’t seen many Disney movies growing up, and the one I had seen were so long ago I didn’t remember much about them. That day in class I didn’t understand the extent of the dressing and ditsy personality until I started watching them again. It got me curious to look at all of the Disney Princesses and see how they act and dress. I couldn’t believe that some of those movies were rated G. If they hadn’t been animated Disney movies they probably would have gotten a worse rating. The only movies that are PG are Maleficent, Brave, and Tangled, which are because of mild violence.
As I was going through looking at each princess I found some pictures of what they would look like in real life. Even in those pictures they are posed pretty sexually especially for their ages. Jasmine is only 15, yet she has a very revealing top on with her shoulders back.
    
                   Pocahontas was 14           
 
Arial was 16
  Snow White was 16
 
The thing I found interesting was that Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, and Rapunzel just to name a few didn't have pictures or outfits that were very sexual. They were all prim and properly dressed in ball gowns.

1 comment:

  1. So, why were they dressed primly? What about Snow White? What implications does this have?

    ReplyDelete