Sunday, November 9, 2014

Does TV Make Us Smarter?

In class we talked about whether or not we think TV makes us smarter. I do believe that there are television programs that do not benefit the human mind at all, but there are also many programs that focus on more intricate and complex topics. The example we talked about in class was Grey's Anatomy, a show that is about the life of a group of surgeons. The show uses a lot of jargon that a general audience probably wouldn't understand, but because of the way it is written, the doctors are able to explain a medical procedure without making the viewer feel stupid. As the show goes on, the viewer has learned some of the commonly used terminology so that they can follow along better.

Grey's Anatomy is one of the few shows that I have seen every episode of, and based off of my experience, I do believe that I have learned more about surgery and medicine than I knew before. It has also given me insight into the life of a surgeon, even though most of the story lines have been padded to create a more interesting show.

There are also many other shows that are informative about a specific topic. In CSI, you learn about the medical side of criminal investigations as well as the protocol. Again, most of their plots are made more dramatic to make the show and the job seem more glamorous, but it does give everyone an inside look of what it's like to be a coroner or a police officer. In one of the more newer shows, How To Get Away With Murder, you learn more about law and what the process of being a lawyer is.

These are all things that I did not know before, or was planning on pursuing in my career, but it is interesting to learn more about other occupations without having to pursue them. I think these types of shows are examples of how television can make a person smarter. I definitely think that there are shows that "rot the mind" (most reality TV in my opinion), but there are some shows that can educate people on things they never knew about and also open their minds to new views and perspectives.

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I don't think the television program determines if it makes you smarter or not, I think it is all in the viewer's hands. If you were to watch any TV show in autopilot mode, I feel that mindset can make you dumber. If you stay aware and analyze what you are watching as best as you can, I believe it can work your brain fairly well.

    Like I said, I don't really think it matters whether it is reality TV or a complex drama like Grey's Anatomy. If you pay attention, think critically, and analyze everything, your brain will be working and solving problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love watching reality shows in order to analyze the communication interactions and the psychology of it all. It is really basic and you can usually predict behavior. Once in a while you will hit a jackpot and get a totally off the wall person you can't predict. You also have those who are really good at it and will probably win the game.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with both of the posts so far, I definitely think that certain shows are more educational than others, but at the same time the viewer can control how educational the show can be too. But the television program is definitely an important factor because lets say you decide to watch SpongeBob, I don't think it matters what mindset you have when watching SpongeBob (or any other show similar) you're not going to learn anything. So both choosing the right program to watch and having a good mindset going into it will contribute to a better learning experience when watching television.

    ReplyDelete