Thursday, December 4, 2014

Selling a Lifestyle

I remember as a teenager, responding to advertisements because I felt its what I wanted. On a subconscious level I think it was. However, it seems more so these ads weren't selling me "things" but selling the idea of a lifestyle.

For instance when I was younger, all I wanted to be was a "woman" I could not wait to grow up and be taken seriously, I wanted to be independent, feminine and sexual. I would flip through magazines like Glamour or Cosmopolitan. Occasionally I'd buy items advertised in these magazines. More often than not, I would track down look alikes, convincing myself, "If I have this Jacket, or bag or heels I'll be grown up." Now I understand these advertisements weren't selling me things, they were selling me the lifestyle I wanted at the time.




As I've gotten older I've assumed my tastes have changed, while that may be so, more likely my lifestyle desires have changed. I've noticed over the past few years I've responded more so to campaigns like Tommy Hilfiger or Anthropologie.





 These designers are brilliant because they sell a lifestyle I happen to crave. I've moved on from wanting to be taken seriously, to actually being taken seriously. Now, I want cozy get-aways, dogs, family, thick braids, sailing trips, and chunky knit sweaters. I'm going to respond to the lifestyle their selling, and in all likelihood buy some of the things. I'll probably continue to tie these items with the lifestyle I want.

 
This relates to the list of needs found in our reading of Fowle's 15 basic appeals.

No comments:

Post a Comment