Thursday, December 4, 2014

Yesterday in class we talked about the paranormal and media.  I found a lot of the things we talked about really interesting.  You don't have to be religious to believe in spirits or any other types of paranormal activities, and we talked how 3 out of every 4 Americans believe in some type of paranormal activity whether that be: horoscopes, astrology, yoga, faith healing, and many more.

I found this video on YouTube that goes along really well with the story that was told in class of the mirror that supposedly, if broken, gave the person who broke it 7 years of bad luck. This video is titled: "25 terrifying objects that are genuinely linked to freaky paranormal events".  As the title suggests the video goes over 25 objects that supposedly bring bad luck or are evil in some way.  Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKVEYk_sLA


Personally I believe that there are some objects that are linked to some freaky stuff like wigi boards, and there are some things on the paranormal activity list that I believe in, but you'll see in the video that a lot of the things that they list as "genuinely freaky" almost make me laugh because of how foolish it is.  I think that the media has created a lot of stereotypes in what we see as freaky in society, and we as a society than believe that the things depicted in the media are freaky. So media definitely, in my opinion, shapes what we as a society see as scary and linked to paranormal events.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    Interesting concept-how certain things are linked to paranormal activity. I had never really considered that idea until now! This was a great post, I really enjoyed the video. The end where they showed the real Annabelle deal really freaked me out, how it was deemed like a medium from hell and earth. Certainly enough to scare me. I thought you had great examples and support in this post; I loved it! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete